Monday 2 June 2014

Youth Day




Thinking about Youth Day reminds me of my previous life – when I was a Human Rights lawyer and trying to make a contribution to the struggle.

That struggle – the right to vote has been achieved and I hope you all took advantage of the right we fought so hard for. We also fought for the right to equality – whether that be race, gender or sexual orientation. Here unfortunately we have not succeeded and I’m not sure we ever will.

Sometimes I am just so tired of confronting society’s accepted norms and then I remind myself that I have the heart of a revolutionary and would not really know how else to live.

One might ask what I am doing for the fight in the sex industry?

I believe that sex is still the subject that no one wants to talk about. It is still a man’s right and a woman’s duty. And women still do not understand the difference between love and lust.

So this June – let’s start the debate – let us empower our daughters and educate our sons.

Education is the ONLY way we will drag people out of the dark. And when they are in the light I know that the plagues that infect future generations will be healed - infection rates, rape and teenage pregnancy will drop. 

Tomorrow I am going to post a copy of an email I received from someone who does not think like me - I wonder who will do the most harm to our youth - me or her? 

No comments:

Post a Comment